Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bodies

Did you ever have a dream where you weren't living in your own body, or where you didn't have a body at all?
Chelsea used to have this dream a lot. She said that a shaman woman would come into her room and teach her potions and spells as to how to disarm her body and simply float. Sometimes she would scream herself awake, other times she just slept through until morning.

I was SO jealous that she had such a cool dream. I later blamed my dad for all the dreamcatchers he gave me, but I digress. She told me that she cried because what would happen if she landed in the body of a doll? You see, she had tons and tons of dolls lining her room. All the way from Nalla from the Lion King, to real African made dolls, porcelain, and barbies; and what if she had to live motionless for the rest of her life? Because she knew what we did to her dolls:
  • We would tie them to the fan by her bunk-bed, switch the dial on high, and laugh when the flew around the room.
  • Sometimes her brother would stuff them down his pants
  • We would cut their hair and limbs when they got into a car accident
  • Threw them out windows
  • Painted peanut butter on the bodies for the squirrels
  • Buried them in the sandboxes that the dogs urinated in
  • ETC.
Eventually what I did for her was I gave her a magic doll that the children of Guatemala made. It was said to not only
get rid of bad dreams but to grant wishes as well.


Sometimes I wonder though what could happen if you really could dispose of your body and simply float? I'm sure Chelsea forgot all about this but somewhere during our friendship she gave me a locked box that held all of her personal things. And when I found it and just so happened to open it with the key I stole from her I thought of something new:
If you could live the life of someone else's object, which would it be?
Would it be their hairbrush? Their computer? Gum, beloved lego set, their underwear?

I think that I would be my brother's shoes because it's one of the things that he cares most about and that he uses everyday. I couldn't sit there and do nothing all day.
Or, friend's boa because it's so fluffy and makes everyone really happy when they touch it :D
Or, my grandparents wedding album, because of how often they look at it with gleeful eyes.
Or the sound waves that Imogen Heap plays with in her free time. It's so detailed and beautiful like strawberry ice cream on simmering waffles kind of beautiful.

What would YOU be, and why?


3 comments:

  1. Wow. Gotta say, that's some pretty deep stuff, I've never really thought about anything like that. I don't know what I would want to be, but I definitely wouldn't want to be something that would get left alone and forgotten one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would like to be my Grandpas glasses he has worn the same style since I was knee high. Through them I could see what he sees.

    I love your way of using words to create delicious images in my head. I am ready for some waffles now thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song! It's really catchy. I don't know what I would be if I could be something for a day. Maybe one of my dogs, does that count? I've always wondered what there up to when I'm not home, or what there thinking or feeling. It would be cool to know what an animal is really like.

    ReplyDelete